Castle Pajštún

    Castle Pajštún

    The Pajštún castle ruins stretch out on a hill above the village Borinka in the valley of the Stupava spring on the southwestern side of the Small Carpathians, 486 metres above sea level. The location is close to the capital city, offering magnificent views of the entire Záhorie. With good weather, you can even see the Austrian Alps. However, the ruins keep on dilapidating.


    The castle was built in the second half of the 13th century. More specifically, the first written mention dates back to 1273. In the past, it guarded the northwestern border of Hungary, withstanding almost every war. It burned down in the 18th century when it was struck by a lightning. Despite that, it was partially rebuilt once again and was occupied until 1809 when it was turned into ruins once and for all after the Napoleonic army blew it up even though such forts had almost no strategic significance at that time.

    So the castle dilapidated with no one to reconstruct it. The history of the castle is rich. Detailed information is given on the information table under the ruins.

    The attraction

    The biggest attraction of the Pajštún castle is the lion heads. There used to be nine of them, now you can see only six. One of these architectural gems can even be seen up close as it fell down. Each head has a different facial expression.

    The legend

    The legend tells a story about the old master of the castle and his cruel wife. The master longed for a child, but his wife was cursed by a beggar – a mother of twins. She stood in front of the castle and begged for a piece of bread. However, the lady sneered at her. The beggar cursed the lady to have seven children for whom she would suffer two times eight years. The curse came true within a year and the lady gave birth to seven sons, of whom, however, she felt ashamed. She ordered her servant to kill six of them in the forest but the good-hearted servant did not do it and told the master everything. He then took his six sons to a neighbouring castle where the servants raised them. When the sons were 16 years old, the master prepared a celebration and showed them to his wife, whose heart almost broke. Eventually, she brought up her seven sons in virtue and suffered for 16 long years, fulfilling the second part of the curse. From then on, they lived as a happy family.

    More details

    Opening hours:
    non stop
    Entrance fee:
    fee free