Imperial and Royal Stud Farm in Kopčany
In 1736, Francis Stephen of Lorraine founded a royal stud farm in Kopčany, when he transferred the first stallions from Saaralbe in Lorraine to Záhorie. Thirty years later, his wife, Empress Maria Theresa, promoted it to imperial stud farm. It was a smaller stud farm with 10 stallions, 100 mares, and 200 colts and fillies. Spanish horses were bred here. Emperor Joseph II. later started breeding the English Thoroughbred. These horses were first brought to Kopčany by the chief stabler duke Francis Trauttmansdorff. Horses were raised here for the imperial court in Vienna – horses for riding, racing and hunting, and even for harness. In the summer of 1816, prestigious thoroughbred races took place on the stud farm meadows. The nature around the stud farm, however, did not favour the horse breeding. Floods and the amount of mosquitoes caused a lot of problems and the foals died, mares had miscarriages and the animals suffered from many health problems. In 1828, thoroughbred breeding in Kopčany was discontinued. All horses were transported to the Czech town Kladruby nad Labem.
The stud farm was used as a cooperative after the Second World War and the farmers used the hall to dry grains. Under one of the roof vaults on the stud farm a writing in Hungarian is still visible – “Imperial and Royal Stud Farm”.
In the 20th century, the stud farm was used for various purposes, for instance as a distillery – sugar beet and potatoes were processed here.
In 2001, a reconstruction of the stud farm commenced. Many projects and essential reparations have already been carried out here thanks to the funds. Five renovated rooms have even been used for children camps. Museum exhibitions are located in the reconstructed premises, too.
only to order
+421 905 206 768,
+421 908 550 291