The Triangular chapel is located next to the Basilica of Our Lady of Sorrows in Šaštín – where the original statue of Our Lady of Sorrows used to stand.
The place where the Triangular Chapel is located is the place of the first miracle performed by Our Lady of Sorrows. Everything has its roots in the altercation between a husband and wife that took place in 1564. Back then, Imrich Cobor forced his wife Angela Bakič to step out of the carriage after a fight. It was here, where the young woman gave her word to the Virgin Mary that if God upon her intercession miraculously solved their marital issues, she would have a statue made of Our Lady of Sorrows. And the miracle had indeed occurred! Imrich Cobor repented of his actions, returned to his wife and asked her for forgiveness. Angela kept her promise, commissioned a wooden statue of Our Lady of Sorrows and placed it on the spot where her husband had thrown her out of the carriage. In 1654 the statue was moved due to religious unrest and also because of the Turks. For nearly half a century it was placed in the chapel of St. Emeric, before being moved back to its original place. Many people came to pray here on the eve of the Marian feast. Virgin Mary continued to do miracles here - not only spiritually but also by physical healing. In 1732, the Church hierarchy declared the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows as gracious. After the construction of the Basilica, the statue was placed in the Triangular chapel. The current statue is a copy of the original gracious one.