Záhorie museum in Skalica
Originally it was the house of the counts Pálffy of Erdöd. It was established in the first third of the 17th century by connecting two medieval houses and reconstructed in 1780-1800. At the turn of the 20th century, the house was owned by the Mitták family.
Beginnings of the museum activities can be traced back to 1876-1881 when František Víťazoslav Sasinek commenced his collecting activities. In 1898 MUDr. Pavel Blaho returned to Skalica and together with his friends took an interest in collecting and presenting folk art of Záhorie. He opened the first exhibition in 1903 in the private house of Jozef Novák in Skalica. The efforts to open a museum in Skalica were crowned when the new culture house was opened on the square in 1905. It was called the “Catholic House” or “Clubhouse” and was the first museum dedicated to national affairs established by a private person in Slovakia. Until 1914, 250-400 people visited it annually. After the death of Dr. Pavel Blaha in 1927, the number of visitors declined gradually, mainly due to the controversy regarding the Clubhouse that lasted until 1935. Seven years later, Gizela Blahová returned to Skalica and assumed the care of the collections. The municipal national committee in Skalica took over the administration of the museum and in 1952 it was established as the Municipal Homeland Museum. The issue of the purchase of premises and collections from the Blaha family was solved only in 1966. Afterwards, the status of the museum, as well as its management, changed frequently. The museum has been active under the present name “Záhorie Museum” since 1965.
The museum currently acts as a regional institution, its scope being Záhorie. The institution carries out systematic scientific research, as well as acquisition, editorial, documentary, presentation, methodical, cultural and educational activities. The museum provides comprehensive documenting in the Skalica and Senica districts and records of ethnical and cultural relations of Záhorie and its neighbouring regions on its entire historical territory. In addition to local, regional and national cultural institutions, it also cooperates with foreign museums of the neighbouring Moravia and Austria. Among those, it has a special relationship with the museum in Hohenau an der March, with which an official partnership was established in 2005. The collections of Záhorie museum are focused on archaeology, history, literary history, ethnography and musicology of the region. The museum is currently operated by the Trnava self-governing region.
Jun - September
Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 16:00
Sat: 10:00 - 14:00
Sun: 14:00 - 18:00
Oktober - April
Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 16:00
Sat - Sun: to order 3 days in advance
1,50 € - person
1,00 € - children over 6y., student, pensioner
children up to 6y. and ZET fee free
Námestie Slobody 13, 909 01 Skalica
+421 34 66 44 230