Complex of manufactory buildings in Holíč and the menhirs
The buildings of Holíč manufactory date back to the second half of the 18th century. In 1775, the manufactory's founder, Francis Stephen of Lorraine began with the construction of new and modern symmetrical buildings on the site of Haban pottery workshops. The manufactory buildings were located in one part of the complex. Apartments for the workers were located in the other. Two single-storey wings were added to the factory building in 1783-1791. There was the clay preparation room, glazing room, muffle production, furnaces, kiln, laboratories, warehouses, painter workshop, shop and offices. When the production was discontinued, a casino with a dancing and theatre room was established here in 1836. The other part was turned into apartments for the mployees.
In Breton, “men” means stone and “hir” means long.
According to Charles Tanguay Le Roux of the French Academy of Sciences, Holíč is the easternmost place in Europe where menhirs were found. Menhirs were discovered in 1988 during the construction of the Slovak National Uprising housing quarter, where an ancient circular sanctuary (rondel) with two ditches was originally located. The stones were concentrated in two circles, with short and wide “female” stones alternating with tall and slim “male” stones. In the middle, there was the main idol. The stones are currently exhibited in the lapidarium of the courtyard of the former Holíč manufactory. It has the symbolic layout of a sundial. It is open to the public. You can identify figures of animals, tools or humans. The largest of the preserved menhirs in Holíč measures 6,8 metres and is 4,2 metres high.
Menhirs accessible 24 hours behind the manufactory building