Ruins of the castle Korlátko
The ruins of the caste Korlátko are located in the forest terrain near Cerová village, in the part Rozbehy on the western part of the Small Carpathians. It is stretched out on a rocky hill 455 metres above sea level. It is less than 2 km away from the village.
History of the castle
The exact year of the castle's construction is unknown; probably it was in the 11th century. In the beginning of the 14th century it belonged to the mighty lord of Váh and Tatry, Matthew Csák of Trenčín, who lost it in the battle with the Hungarian king Charles I. Thus the Korlátko castle became royal property in 1321. In 1394 the king Sigismund gave the castle to the duke Stibor of Stiborice for his public service. After Stibor's death in 1414, his son Stibor II. inherited the castle together with the entire dominion. As he died without heir in 1434, the castle was returned to the royal hands. In 1445, the castle already belonged to Nicholas of Uljak who sold it to Osvald of Bučany for 4000 gold coins. In 1485 king Matthias Corvinus ceded the castle to the knight John Plakner for 6000 gold coins. This act, however, never entered into force because the lord of Bučany continued to use the castle. After the dynasty died out, the župan (county lord) Francis Nyáry inherited it. In 1578 the castle was co-owned by Gaspar Pongrácz and his brother John of Oponice. In 1740, only a couple of armed servants lived in the castle. The castle began to dilapidate since the half of the 18th century. Only parts of the upper castle walls and continuous parts of the lower fortifications remain.
Legend of the castle
There are several legends about the castle. One of the best known is called “Hajdúsi na cerovskom hrade” (Guards of the Cerová castle) – the lord of the Cerová castle was known as the villain among the people. That was because he mistreated his subjects, having them beaten with sticks on the torture bench “dereš”. One time, one of the subjects – Mišo – did not come to work on the lord's estate. The lord ordered his guards to bring the sick man to the castle on his manure carriage and beat him with 30 sticks. The guards did as told. As they were putting the battered man on the carriage, twelve highwaymen came, led by Jánošík. The thieves tied up the guards and put on their clothes. Part of the group, together with Jánošík, went to the castle. They tied the lord to the torture bench and beat him until he promised in front of his subjects that he and his guards would treat the people better. The people were relieved and the lord of the Cerová castle softened.
Only the ruins of the castle remain today.