Franciscan church of Our Lady of Sorrows and monastery in Skalica
The first Franciscans settled down in Skalica in the first half of the 15th century. The construction of the church and the Franciscan monastery began in 1467. The Franciscans were active in Skalica until 1950. After 1989 they have requested the return of the property and subsequently rented out the premises to the town of Skalica.
In the past, the Franciscan monastery was the seat of the province, religious theological school, and the library. The oldest part of the monastery is centralized around the Rajský dvor (Court of Eden). The exterior of the monastery encompasses the courtyards and a large garden. At present, the monastery, and especially its outside premises, serves the needs of the cultural life of the town - the corridors as town gallery and the cellars as a winery. Moreover, a space for concerts and other events has been specifically created.
The church is a Gothic building - more specifically a single-nave Gothic building. A lush Gothic rib vault has been preserved in the presbytery and a groined vault in the sacristy. The Stations of the Cross, built between 1705 and 1710, are located to the right of the entrance. In the middle of the courtyard is a stone cross from 1746 with Our Lady of Sorrows and in the right corner an ossuary that was later rebuilt as the chapel of St. John of Nepomuk. The side altars of the church date back to 1750 and the pulpit was built in Rococo style. The main altar is from 1953. The central figure of the main altar is Our Lady of Sorrows. The organ of the church, dating back to 1930, was renovated recently.